SEO is an important aspect of any business. It all begins with your website. Your website could be the first impression that a customer has of your business. Make sure it is a good one. Search Engine Optimization is a way to improve your website.
1. Make your website mobile-friendly
This is the most important thing you should remember about your website. The website should be optimized for mobile viewing. Website traffic is now coming from tablets and smartphones, rather than desktops and laptops. Visitors won’t waste time trying to navigate your website on their smartphones or tablets if it isn’t simple. They will move on to other websites.
2. Speed is Everything
Internet users will abandon your site if it loads too slowly. Websites that load quickly rank higher in search results, get more page views, and convert more visitors. You can improve the user experience by making sure your website loads quickly.
- You can remove any plug-ins you don’t need. Plug-ins can take a while to load, which slows down the page.
- Your pages should be optimized for the optimal size of images. The page will load faster if the image is smaller.
- To speed up the loading of pages that are frequently accessed, you can use a caching service.
- Use the Google Page Speed tool hints to help you install the appropriate plugins and tools for WordPress websites.
Other tools, such as Pingdom tools, provide more detailed graphs and charts to help you understand the slowdowns in your website.
3. Designing Your Site
There are many ways to make your website user-friendly and easy to navigate. If you want to sell products or generate leads, your website must be optimized for conversion.
4. Permanent Link Structure
- The Permanent Link Structure is a description of the URL format for pages on a website.
- Use hyphens to separate URLs and keep URLs as simple as you can. For example, use www.abcwebsite.com/about-us.
- You should ensure that the URL contains the main keywords you want to target for that particular page. Optimized URLs help users understand the page and increase CTR. They also aid search engines in ranking the page for keywords.
5. Internal Links
- Internal links are links within a page that point to other pages on the website.
- They should be useful to the visitor as well as easily understood by search engines.
- It is best to limit the number of internal links per page and not to use phrases like “click here”. The rule of thumb is to limit the number of external and internal links within a page to 100. This includes footer and header links.
- Don’t keyword-stuff internal links’ anchor text. Inter-connection is the main purpose of internal linking.
- Breadcrumbs are an internal link set that aids in navigation. These links are most commonly found at the top or bottom of a webpage.
- Internal links can be used to link articles together. Similar products can also be suggested to viewers.
- It is also a good idea for visitors to periodically go back to older posts and then link to the latest posts. This will give them the most up-to-date information.
6. Page Titles and Descriptions
- Every page should have a unique title that explains the content. It should be concise, but informative.
- Search engines consider the Meta tag of page descriptions to be very important. Unique descriptions are required for each page, product, and post on your website. Avoid repeating page titles in your descriptions. Don’t use too many keywords. Include the top three keywords on every page in the title tag.
7. Text options
- Your website text should be easy to read. To keep the reader’s attention, break up the text into smaller paragraphs. You can also use bold print or italics when necessary.
- H1 tags should be used for titles and H2 tags should be used for main headings. However, H2 tags shouldn’t be used for all headings. Use only one H1 tag and include the main keyword in your H1 tag.
8. Sitemap for Users
- The user sitemap, which is literally a map of your website’s pages and posts, is a listing of all pages and posts.
- In the main menu, you should include a link from the user sitemap. A XML sitemap is required for search engines. However, a HTML sitemap will be needed to assist visitors in finding your content.
9. Keep checking external links regularly
- You should ensure that your website does not have broken links that point nowhere. Don’t link to inappropriate sites.
- Do not sell or trade links. They will damage your business credibility. Start by looking for local directories or listing websites. Before obtaining links from websites, there are a few things you should check. Majestic Extension can be used to verify the site’s metrics and determine if it has been penalized by Google.
10. The 404 Page Design is Less Disappointing
- When a user searches for a page that does not exist on your site, misstypes a URL or follows broken links, the 404 page will be displayed.
- Although the default design displays a boring “Page Not Found” message, you can give your user an idea of what actually happened. You can use a brief phrase such as “Oops! This can be a short phrase, such as “Oops!
11. Content Is King
It’s a saying we all know, and it is still true. Your website visitors need quality content. You should be consistent in formatting your text throughout your website. Avoid typos and grammatical errors. It will help you build credibility by including references to specific details. Sharing your content can increase website traffic and encourage readers to share your information.
Websites are becoming more successful with multimedia and video. Many users prefer video content to text. It’s also a smart idea to include videos in at least part of your content. It is mandatory to use photos on a website. To avoid slowing down your website’s performance, use smaller images and keywords. To make it easy to find images, save them all in a separate photo file on your website. You can also use keywords to identify the files.
SEO is intimidating for a novice. But it doesn’t have be. Integrating SEO from the beginning of your website design will simplify the process and increase your chances of success.